MingunLocated about 11 km upriver from Mandalay, on the opposite bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River and home to the largest ringing bell in the world. It's just long enough a trip to give you a pleasant feel for the river and a glimse of river life. Mingun bell was built by Bodawpaya in 1808, weighing 90 tons, it is claimed to be the largest hung, un-cracked bell in the world.
Situated 11 km south of Mandalay, Amarapura was founded by Bodawpaya as his new capital in 1783. After his ascended the throne Bagyidaw moved his court back to Inwa in 1823. In 1841 Amarapura again became the capital, but in 1857 King Mindon decided to make Mandalay the capital, and the changeover was completed in 1860. Then today, little remains of the old Amarapura palace area has seeing widely scattered. The city walls were torn down and most of the wooden palace buildings were dismantled and taking to the new palace in Mandalay. Little remains of the old Amarapura Palace, one is the treasure building and the old watch-tower in its old grounds.
An ancient city Sagaing is 21 km southwest from Mandalay
takes half-hour drive. Sagaing is home to about 200 pagodas and
stupas, and over 500 monasteries and nunneries on a green
hillside overlooking the Ayeyarwaddy River. The Sagaing Hills
are dotted with pagodas and there are over 500 monasteries, a
retreat for some 6000 monks and nuns. Ywahtaung village (home of
the silversmiths' guilds) is a place worth visiting. The best
known of the Sagaing stupas, Kaunghmudaw Pagoda, situated 10 km
beyond the town of Sagaing. The enormous dome, whose name means
work of great merit, rises 46 m in the shape of a perfect
hemisphere and was modeled after the Mahaceti (Great Stupa) in
Sri Lanka. Around the base of the pagoda are 812 stone pillars,
each one is 1.5 m high and with a small hollow for an oil lamp.
The ancient city of Inwa, located a few kilometers south of
Amarapura. Get there onboard the local ferry across the Myitnge
River and hire a local horse cart for a leisurely spin around
town. The 27 m high masonry watch tower, the Nanmyin, its known
as the " leaning tower of Inwa". Nanmyin Tower is all that
remains of the palace built by Bagyidaw. Maha Aungmye Bonzan
Monastery, also known as the Meh Nu Ok Kyaung, which is a brick
and stucco monastery built by Meh Nu, the chief queen of
Bagyidaw. The monastery was built in imitation of the
traditional wooden-style; its masonry construction has ensured
its survival. The 1838 earthquake badly damaged it, but it was
restored in 1873.
Allied War Memorial Cemetery
Monywa is 136 km northwest of Mandalay. It lies at the
heart of the Chindwinn Valley and serves as a major trading
center for the area. Sites to see in Monywa are Thanboddhay
Pagoda, which was built between 1939 and 1952 by Moehnyin
Sayadaw. The solid section of the monument is said to
enclose 7350 relics and other holy material. Inside, the
votive Buddhas of bone and other materials decorate every
wall and archway halfway to the ceiling, and there are
larger sitting and standing Buddhas in niches. Altogether,
these images reportedly number 582,357. Boddhi-tataung (1000
Buddhas), a grove of banyan trees, each with a Buddha at its
foot. Kyaukka village, 16 km east of Monywa, known for its
own style of lacquer-ware.
Pyin Oo Lwin
A pretty little hill resort, 67km east of Mandalay at the altitude of 1070m. The picturesque town of Pyin Oo Lwin (formerly called Maymyo), a hill station established by the British as a cool retreat from the heat of the central Myanmar plains. Even at the height of the hot season, Pyin Oo Lwin is pleasantly cool and certain times of the year it can get quit chilly. Since it has grown perennial flower blossomed trees and seasonal beautiful flowers it is also named flower city. The favoured transport in the flavourful town is horse drawn carriages, which have more in common with 19th century London than 20th century Myanmar. Another interest places in Pyin Oo Lwin are the Botanical Garden, Peik Khyin Myaung caves, decorated with tableaux from the life of the Buddha and the Anisakan Waterfalls (10 km south of Pyin Oo Lwin), though not spectacular, are a pleasant place for a swim and picnic.