The Andaw (meaning the tooth relic of Buddha)
is a pagoda only 86 feet to the northeast of the Shitthaung
Pagoda. Built by King Min Hla Raza in 1521 it is said to
enshrine the tooth relic received from Sri Lankan king by King
This temple is a hollow octagonal building make of pure
sandstone blocks; there are two internal concentric passages,
with a prayer hall on the east. Like other temples it is on a
The LAYMYETNHA PAGODA
Laymyetnha Pagoda was
built by King Min Saw Mon in 1430 AD as one of the original
pagodas at the time of the founding of Mrauk-U. The name of the
Pagoda means "Four faced" as there are four entrances to this
square sandstone structure with a central solid stupa 80 feet
high. There are 28 Buddha images as mentioned in the Sam Buddha
The Shwe Daung Pagoda or the "Golden Hill Pagoda"
The Shwe Daung Pagoda or the "Golden Hill Pagoda",
is also believed to have been built by King Minbin between the years 1531-1553. It is a landmark pagoda as it is the tallest in this area and can be seen as far away as 20 miles from the main Kaladan River. The hill itself is 250 feet high and is about half a mile to the south-east of the Palace Site. It is a solid stupa with a circular base. During the First Anglo-Burmese War, 1824-26, the Myanmar forces built earthen fortifications on this hill and mounted guns, which inflicted heavy losses on the British forces. Some of these fortifications can still be seen today.
Koethaung Pagoda Koethaung Pagoda, standing on a plain of rice fields.
The name means 90,000 and probably signified the number of
Buddha images it was supposed to contain. It was built by King
Min Taikkha, the son of King Min Bin who built the Shitthaung or
temple of 80,000 images, so the son exceeded the father by
10,000! It is the biggest pagoda in the Mrauk-U area. Like the
Shitthaung, this pagoda is also a massive fortress-like
structure built with stonewalls and terraces. There are 108
smaller pagodas surrounding it, all made of sandstone. With a
winding corridor it is like a cave tunnel, which you have to
traverse until you reach the central chamber. The inner gallery
has collapsed and is no longer accessible. There is an octagonal
pagoda in the middle surrounded by over one hundred smaller
pagodas. Unlike some of the other temples, not only sandstone,
but also bricks were also used in this pagoda.
Htukkan Thein (Ordination Hall)
Htukkan Thein (Ordination Hall) is located about 300 feet to the north west of Shitthaung Pagoda. Built in 1571 by King Min Phalaung it is on a hillock 30 feet high, with two stone stairways (8) feet broad on the east and south. No longer used as an Ordination Hall, it is now one of the well-known pagodas of Mrauk-U. There is a long vaulted passageway, which leads to the central shrine room, which is 15 feet in height. This room is said to be the place where the Chief Monk used to sit to discuss religious affairs with Senior Monks. See the seated stone ladies preserving in sculpture the ancient hair-styles, among the many other interesting figures. There are also 140 niches with Buddha images.